Sunday, June 9, 2019

I fail to see the connection.

Occasionally a conversation will have take a turn to unrelated topics. I am sometimes guilty of doing that. But, in others, I am on the receiving end of the unexpected switch.

I was traveling once from Cairo to Abu Dhabi. After serving lunch/dinner on the plane they usually ask (as if to try to avoid serving) tea or coffee. So, what happened was, this cute stawrdess/cabin crew/air hostess comes and asks me if I want tea or coffee. I am a coffee kinda a guy. I drink it black because I am hardcore or whatever. But I digress. I ask her if she has any tea.
She goes: "yea we do, we have black tea, green tea and earl grey. What would you like?"
I say: "Ok give me coffee"
She smiled and said "ok, but we are out of coffee. I'll make you something better! Its coffee with hot chocolate" (apparently that's a mocha). And she does. Did I have a chance with her? I will never know. I avoided her for the rest of the flight.

So to recap the last story:
  1. Asking about tea.
  2. Ordering a coffee.
  3. Getting served a mocha.
  4. Wondering if I had a chance with the stewardess.

Here's another incident, but instead, this time I am the one receiving the ol'switcheroo.

I grew my beard out for a while. It wasn't huge or anything. Small enough to be a fashion statement and not big enough to be an identity thing. I trimmed it one day and went straight to work. My coworkers looked at me with confused astonishment. One of them and came up to me and asked why I had trimmed it. I said because it felt disgusting after a while and I wanted to change. Another guy jumps in and tells me to keep it trimmed as I look better this way. Thank you thank you. First guy agrees and asks me when I am going to get married. "What?"

Recap:
  1. Trim beard.
  2. Get asked why I did it.
  3. Receive compliment.
  4. Unload the marriage question salvo.

Were you ever in a similar situation where the conversation or your thought process took an unexpected turn? Share away.

No comments:

Post a Comment