Sunday, June 30, 2019

Aesthetics.


Ya, I know big words.

I can't change the way I look that much because my head is basically a cue ball. I try to change my aesthetic using accessories and facial hair. In this post I will tell you notable stories related to changing my look.

Facial Hair

Before I had the beard I went with my friend to the barber to get my hair did. Told the guy to give me a buzz cut on 0 and to trim the beard to 2. As he was working he told me why don't you just shave the head with a razor. I told him "yea go ahead". After that was done he told me that a 1.5 trim for the beard will be more aesthetic. Yea go ahead. He asked if I wanted a face mask or whatever. Yea go ahead. You want a shoulder massage? Yea go ahead. After we were done I retold my friend that I just kept agreeing to whatever the barber asked me to do. His reply was "This is how it usually starts".

Rings

I wanted to go with the traditional Egyptian "Se'eedy" aesthetic so I bought a ring. It was actually quite cool to go and buy my first ring. I bought it from Khan El Khalili. 

I went through a few stores to get the ring but, one store really stood out to me. I went in and asked for silver rings. The guy didn't even talk to me and handed me a tray with rings on it. I tried on a few and asked for their prices. He would punch in the prices on a calculator. "80" "120" etc. Why is he not talking? He began to become a little animated by the fourth ring, stomping the numbers on the calculator. So just to twist the knob a bit I asked if he had any more rings to show me. He replied to me in what I think was Arabic. I say think because I could not understand what he said. But the implication was no. Hands crossing and all.

Sunglasses

 I decided to splurge on a pair of sunglasses because I had a lot of money, and there was a sale on souq.com. Rayban aviators for 300? I'll have a pair please! The problem lies in the fact that I also wear prescription glasses and I need to get new lenses for the sunglasses. So I go to the glasses store (Optometrist? Optician?) and ask them to make me a pair of lenses with my old prescription. The sales guy begins to sell me his stuff. First he butters me up with a piece of toffee. You have my attention. He then proceeds to explain to me the benefit of getting polarized because they do light reduction magic. Also, the side facing your face should be green as it give a natural "color tone" to what you see. The only thing I asked was for the lenses to reflect so as to not show my eyes when someone is looking at me. "Yes of course" the sales man said. How much? 800. Well, ok I guess, I am getting the best lenses on the market. So I give him the down payment and leave.

Two days later I get a call to come and receive my stuff. The lenses weren't reflective. I paid the rest and took the sunglasses.I immediately point out the issue. The guy gets all defensive and says that those lenses can't be reflective because his mom didn't teach him not to lie. Anyway he says he will give me a free pair of lenses if accept it the way it is. I say I don't want it I'll just take the shit I didn't order and pay for it anyway. What a big boy I am, amirite?



Have you had any funny stories with aesthetics? Critiquing my actions is off the table I will fight you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment